The Turner Centre for Counselling & Psychotherapy
Due to the current situation, it is important now, more than ever, that people can continue to access our services. Although we continue to offer sessions via Skype or Zoom we now have a large number of therapists who have returned to work face to face from the Turner Centre.
For those who choose to come to the centre for their therapy, we have the following safety measures in place;
-- Antibacterial hand sanitiser on entry and exit
-- Cleaning of door handles and surfaces between clients
-- Only one client/one couple in the waiting room at any one time
-- Staggered session times so clients/therapists do not come into contact with each other
-- Seating arranged to accommodate 2 metre social distancing rule
Please email; [email protected] or phone; 01206 544458 to find out availability - we can usually offer you an appointment within 48 hours.
Contact Us by email
about the Turner Centre
The Turner Centre is an independent private counselling & psychotherapy centre with over 34 highly experienced, professional and qualified counsellors, psychotherapists and clinical psychologists and counselling psychologists specialising in a range of emotional difficulties.
We also provide clinical supervision to practicing qualified therapists and students and other health care professionals as well as support workers in social care and education. We also hold seminars and workshops for practicing therapists as well as other health care professionals.
The centre occupies a large tudor style building located half way down North Hill in the centre of Colchester town, Essex, next to the Colchester Sixth Form College. It is easily accessible via public transport and there are several car parks nearby, the nearest being the NCP car park which has a pedestrian entrance in North Hill opposite the Turner Centre.
The centre is comfortable and welcoming with a tranquil atmosphere making it the ideal environment for undertaking therapy.
Low cost counselling
We can offer low cost counselling from our student / trainee counsellors from £15 per session. They are on placement at the centre and in their second or third year of training and are required to see individuals as part of their qualifying.
Types of Therapy
When thinking about coming into counselling or psychotherapy, it can be helpful to understand a little about the various different models of therapy and how they are used in understanding and dealing with emotional difficulties.
Find out more
who we see...
We see individuals, couples, children and teenagers, families and groups for therapy. We have specialist therapists who are trained in couple therapy, family therapy and in child and adolescent therapy.
We also have an EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation Processing) therapist who works with individuals who have experienced a distressing or traumatic event or ongoing trauma whether recent or historical or have been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. This is a specific therapy which can read more about here.
All our counsellors and psychotherapists are qualified in, and work from, a range of therapy models which includes;
- psychodynamic counselling and psychotherapy
- cbt (cognitive behavioural therapy)
- integrative counselling and psychotherapy
- family therapy / systemic therapy
- EMDR (eye movement desensitisation reprocessing)
Many of them have undergone additional training and are qualified to masters degree level and doctorate level.
Our therapists are experienced in dealing with a range of emotional issues including;
- anxiety, confusion, fear, panic attacks and feelings of not coping.
- relationship counselling and couple counselling for relationship problems both individually, as a couple or both. This can be any couple ie sexual partners, mother/daughter/son, father/son/daughter etc.
- psychosexual therapy - difficulties including; sexual dysfunction, premature ejaculation, gender identity, lack of interest in sex, other psychosexual issues
- bereavement & loss - however long ago, feelings of grief despair
- post traumatic stress
- depression including post-natal depression, low mood, tearfulness, intense sadness.
- low self esteem, lack of confidence, feelings of inadequacy.
- loss of meaning and purpose in life, life changes; redundancy, retirement
- addictions; alcohol, drugs, gambling dependencies.
- self harm.
- sexual abuse, emotional abuse, physical abuse and domestic violence.
- health problems, life threatening and terminal illness.
- Stress at work
- "mid-life crisis"
- eating disorders / eating problems including anorexia, bulimia, compulsive eating.
- phobias, obsessions, compulsive behaviours OCD, panic attacks, anxiety.
- family therapy / family counselling for family problems/issues
- British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- British Psychoanalytic Council (BPC)
- UK Register of Counsellors (UKRC)
- British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP)
- UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
- British Association for Sexual and Relationship Therapy (BASRT)
- Association for Family Therapists (AFT)
Each therapist is bound by their relevant professional body's Code of Ethics and subject to their Professional Conduct Procedure and they all hold Professional Indemnity Insurance. The all receive regular clinical supervision in line with their governing body ensuring a high quality standard of care.
Our fees reflect the experience and qualification of our therapists – see our fees page for more details.
For an informal chat about the services we provide and/or to arrange an appointment, please telephone The Turner Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy directly on 01206 544458. Our administrator will usually take your call, but If there is no one to personally answer your call at the time you phone, leave your name and phone number and one of our therapists will get straight back to you.
If you are looking for counselling in Colchester, Essex or longer term psychotherapy in Colchester Essex do contact us to discuss how we can help.
Counselling in Colchester Essex or Psychotherapy in Colchester Essex